Let the oven do all the work with this delicious roasted fall soup.
- 1 (3 lb) butternut squash, unpeeled
- 2 unpeeled Fuji or Gala apples, cored and halved
- 1 large unpeeled yellow onion, halved
- 1 bulb garlic, 1/4 inch of top removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups Mountain High™ original plain yoghurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Heat oven to 450°F. Spray large rimmed sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Cut each half in four pieces. Rub cut sides of squash, apples, onion and garlic with oil. Place vegetables cut side down in pan. Roast 35 to 40 minutes or until onions and squash are tender when pierced with knife. Cool 5 to 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, add 2 1/2 cups of the vegetable stock, the soy sauce, honey, salt and pepper flakes to a blender. Using large spoon, scrape flesh from squash. Remove peel from onions. Squeeze garlic cloves from peels. Add squash flesh to mixture in blender, and blend on high speed 30 to 60 seconds or until smooth; pour into 5-quart Dutch oven. Add remaining 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock, the apples, onion and garlic to blender. Blend 30 to 60 seconds or until smooth. Add 1 cup of the yoghurt; blend 30 to 60 seconds or until incorporated. Stir into squash mixture in Dutch oven. Heat to simmering over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Divide soup among 8 bowls. Top each bowl with 2 tablespoons of the remaining yoghurt; sprinkle with parsley and thyme.
Combine any leftover chopped thyme with butter and chopped garlic. Tuck under chicken or turkey skin before roasting. Or, throw some in your weekend morning scrambled eggs with any leftover parmesan!
Can’t take the heat? Leave out the red pepper flakes.
Use a large spoon to scoop the seeds out of the squash.
Total Servings: 8 servings (1 1/4 cups each)
1 Serving: Calories 180 (Calories from Fat 35); Total Fat 3.5g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 690mg; Total Carbohydrate 32g (Dietary Fiber 6g, Sugars 17g); Protein 4g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 280%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 15%; Iron 6%
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch, 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 2