The fun festive house is a great excuse to gather and make with the entire family. Make sure to pick up assorted cookies and candies for decoration. If decorating with kids, let them pick out the candies or create a theme together.
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup Mountain High® original or lowfat plain yoghurt
- 1/2 cup molasses
- ROYAL FROSTING
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 5 to 6 cups powdered sugar (divided)
- HOUSE DECORATIONS
- Assorted cookies & nuts
- Colorful candies (gummies, candy canes, liquorish for trees, roof, siding etc…)
- Marshmallows (for extra snow)
GINGERBREAD & ROYAL FROSTING
- Whisk together the dry ingredients
- Beat on butter and brown sugar until fluffy on medium until fluffy then add eggs, molasses and yoghurt until well blended.
- Beat half of dry mixture into wet mixture, then stir and knead in remaining dry mixture
- Wrap dough and refrigerate for 2 hours – 3 days
- Sprinkle flour over surface and dough. Roll dough to 1/4” thick sheet and cut out your pieces using a template, kit or imagination.
- Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes and cool for 15 minutes
- Whisk 1/2 of the powdered sugar and all other ingredients
- If you’d like to eat your gingerbread house, heat or microwave the mixture 30-40 seconds or until it reaches the temperature of 160°
- Beat in remaining powdered sugar until thick combined texture is reached
- Find a base for your house, this can be a platter, cookie sheet, cutting board or even a piece of cardboard.
- Pipe frosting along bottom edge of the foundational pieces of the gingerbread house (the 4 walls). Hold these
- Fill pastry or plastic bag to pipe/connect (frosting is the glue) the base of your gingerbread house and all pieces until sturdy
- Use the remaining frosting to glue on your house’s decorations. Split into mini bags for multiple decorators.