You don’t have to invest in a professional rotisserie oven to get the great flavors of shawarma at home. Our slow-cooker version is a breeze to make, and the Tahini Yoghurt Sauce adds a bright fresh element that most slow-cooker dishes lack.
- 3 to 4 lb boneless leg of lamb roast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Tahini Yoghurt Sauce
- 1 cup Mountain High™ original whole milk plain yoghurt
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Serve With
- 12 pita breads, halved and toasted
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- Spray 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Place leg of lamb in slow cooker. In small bowl, mix olive oil, honey, salt, cumin, paprika, coriander, cinnamon, garlic powder and pepper. Pour mixture over lamb.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 hours. Transfer lamb to cutting board; cool slightly. Shred lamb, discarding any pieces of fat. Reserve 2 cups cooking liquid; discard remaining liquid. Return shredded lamb and the 2 cups cooking liquid to slow cooker; toss to coat. Cover; cook on Low heat setting to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, mix yoghurt, tahini and lemon juice. Stir in remaining Tahini Yoghurt Sauce ingredients.
- Serve lamb in pita breads with sauce; top with tomatoes and pine nuts.
Not in the mood for lamb? The Tahini Yoghurt Sauce is also great with grilled chicken or in lettuce wraps with cooked ground turkey or ground beef.
Want to add a little heat? Opt for hot smoked paprika.
Total Servings: 12 servings
1 Serving: Calories 400 (Calories from Fat 130); Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 80mg; Sodium 680mg; Total Carbohydrate 37g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 4g); Protein 30g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 10%; Iron 20%
Exchanges: 2 Starch, 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 3 Very Lean Meat, 1/2 Lean Meat, 2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 2 1/2