- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch strips
- 1/2 cup Mountain High™ original whole milk plain yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 5 whole peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon Kashmiri chile powder
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked basmati rice, rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- In medium bowl, mix chicken, yoghurt, coriander and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt; stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours but no longer than 8 hours.
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Add onions, cumin, cinnamon, peppercorns, cloves and bay leaf; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in garlic and gingerroot; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken with marinade, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the chile powder; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter and the rice; stir to coat rice. Transfer mixture to 5- to 6-cup rice cooker; add chicken broth. Set rice cooker for white rice; press start.
- When rice is cooked, fluff rice with fork; remove bay leaf and cinnamon stick, and stir in raisins and almonds. Top with cilantro.
Kashmiri chile powder is deep red in color and is used for color as well as seasoning.
If you like your Biryani with more spice, add another 1/4 teaspoon Kashmiri chile powder and 1/2 teaspoon garam masala when cooking the chicken.
Total Servings: 6 servings
1 Serving: Calories 360 (Calories from Fat 90); Total Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 65mg; Sodium 810mg; Potassium 330mg; Total Carbohydrate 45g (Dietary Fiber 2g); Protein 22g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 8%; Iron 10%
Exchanges: 2 Starch, 1 Other Carbohydrate, 2 Very Lean Meat, 1 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 3