- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 package (12 oz) paneer cheese, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons cumin seed
- 1 pod green cardamom
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (from 6-oz can)
- 1 tablespoon ground garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 cups frozen sweet peas
- 3/4 cup Mountain High™ original whole milk plain yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- In 12-inch skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Cook paneer in oil 5 to 8 minutes, turning frequently until golden brown; drain on paper towel-lined plate. Discard oil left in skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium. In same skillet, add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, the onions, cumin seed and cardamom; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add gingerroot and garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomato paste, garam masala, salt, turmeric and pepper flakes; stir to blend. Cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in water and paneer; cook 5 minutes. Add frozen peas; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until peas are tender. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in yoghurt; top with cilantro.
- Serve with rice, if desired.
Garam masala is a blend of ground spices common in India, Pakistan and other South Asian cuisines. Although it can vary widely, it typically contains black peppercorns, mace, cinnamon, cloves, brown cardamom, nutmeg and green cardamom.
Serve this dish with basmati rice.
Paneer is a fresh cheese common in South Asian cuisine.
Total Servings: 6 servings
1 Serving: Calories 350 (Calories from Fat 210); Total Fat 23g (Saturated Fat 12g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 55mg; Sodium 720mg; Potassium 400mg; Total Carbohydrate 19g (Dietary Fiber 3g); Protein 17g
% Daily Value: % Daily Value: Vitamin A 35%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 45%; Iron 15%
Exchanges: Exchanges: 1/2 Starch, 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 1 Vegetable, 2 High-Fat Meat, 1 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: Carbohydrate Choices: 1